Free Star Quilt Patterns
Free star quilt patterns for you to use to create your own stunning quilts. Star quilts have always been popular with quilters of all generations,
all levels of quilting experience and from all around the world. They
are so versatile and come in an almost unlimited range of designs.
Whenever I am at quilt exhibitions, star quilts are always on display. They look fabulous in a wide range of fabrics. I love the brights but I have also enjoyed the 1930's fabrics used as well as those using plain fabrics. I hope you enjoy all the free star quilt patterns below. If you can't find what you are looking for I have placed a list of quilt pattern suppliers where you will find more free star quilt patterns here. There are many more free star quilt patterns offered than I could possibly add here.
When making any star quilt there are several key points to remember to ensure success.
- If you are cutting more than one layer of fabric at the same time
then ironing them together before you start will make them cling to
- To prevent your blocks from distorting you need to plan how to cut out
your fabric using the fabric grain. The outside edges of each block
should have their edges cut along the lengthwise grain (along the
selvage) or the crosswise grain (from selvage to selvage). If you have
ever used or seen Marti Michell's templates they all have the grain-line
marked on them with an arrow.
- Sew all seam allowances 1/4". Using a 1/4" foot is a great way to ensure all your seam allowances are accurate.
- Press seams in opposite directions as this helps them to lock in place
when slight pressure is applied with your thumb and forefinger.
- To save you constantly getting up and down to the iron sew several
blocks of the same construction at the same time then iron their seams.
- If you do have some slight distortion or seam irregularity lightly spray with starch and iron back into shape.
- After adding sashing or borders press the seams closed first
before pressing them open. This will help the sashing and borders to
Sign up for my newsletter below!