I have designed this beginner applique course to help you avoid the pitfalls that I made when I started and to make your first applique quilt experience a positive one, with a finished product to be proud of.
Doing applique for the first time can be a very frustrating and costly experience. Learn how to stop:
* your backing fabric from puckering around your applique
* having your applique come away from your quilt
* your applique distorting itself on the backing
* your applique from moving while you are sewing it on
* sewing your stitches off the edges of the applique
All the following information is invaluable when appliqueing and most I didn't know when I started. The results show in my first quilts. Simple things like using the best presser foot on your machine makes sewing curves and turning corners easy! My first applique quilt attempts were for dolls beds and this was a great size to begin with.
If you are having difficulty finding cute and applique friendly designs or patterns try the following suggestions:
* Coloring-in books
* Childrens story books
* Google Images
* http://www.fatcatpatterns.com/default.html. This is a fantastic site of mostly free applique patterns for you to use for your personal use only.
The Applique Course covers the following topics.
* Pre-washing Fabric
* Stabilizing your backing fabric
* Using Steam-a-seam
* Applique Stitches
* Open Toed Foot
Lets get started! Go to
to begin your applique project.