Joannes Designs Week8 'Boxes' quilt was a design I created to showcase a limited color range. I have chosen autumn colors in the brown shades from beige through to dark brown. You will notice that I have used the same block throughout but made a slight change to the fabric placement of two of the rectangles, giving 32 blocks in one color way and the other 32 blocks in a slightly different colorway.
This gives a bit more interest and depth to this quilt. The other subtle difference is the width of the sashing. Within each block it is 1/4" wide whereas between each block the width is 1/2".
Below I have included a detailed rotary cutting guide for each block - I hope that helps overcome any confusion that might arise from the subtle differences between the two blocks.
To download the pattern, quilt yardage guide or block rotary cutting guide click on the relevant image below.
My advice when making this quilt:
1. Sew together the 64 blocks first. Remeasure each block & trim where necessary so each block measures 10 1/2" x 10 1/2".
2. Lay these blocks out on a flat surface or design wall.
3. Place 1" wide sashing between each block vertically. Then sew blocks and sashing together to form rows.
4. Measure length of rows and cut 1" wide sashing to fit.
5. Place long sashing between each row. Then sew rows and sashing together to form quilt top as shown in pattern.
6. Remeasure quilt top in 3 places vertically to get the average length to cut your first two side borders. Cut two borders this length.
7. Sew 1 1/2" wide narrow side borders on.
8. Remeasure quilt top in 3 places horizontally to get the average length to cut your next two borders. Cut two borders this length.
9. Sew 1 1/2" wide narrow borders on to the top and bottom of the quilt.
I hope you enjoyed Joannes Designs Week8. Just 46 patterns to go!