Joannes Designs Week19 'Snowball Quilt' a design I created using a nine patch block variation. This is one of the most versatile blocks and playing with it in EQ7 was a lot of fun.
I love the way that the blocks within the quilt take on a circular design - a nice illusion! The quilt is made from 20 different fabrics in 2 colorways, beige and purple. Each fabric is a tone on tone fabric. Of coarse you can create this quilt using fabric from your stash and they don't have to be tone on tone fabrics.
To make this quilt you will need to make 63 blocks, 45 blocks with purple centers and 18 blocks with beige centers. Each block is finished at 9" x 9" and is made using 5, 3 1/2" squares and 8 triangles cut from 3 7/8" squares cut once on the diagonal.
To download the pattern, rotary cutting block guide or quilt yardage guide click on the relevant image below.
My advice when making this quilt:
1. This quilt can be made using the strip piecing method. You will need to cut your strips in two different widths for both colors, 3 1/2" wide strips and 3 7/8" wide strips.
2. Cut out all your squares and triangles ready for assembly.
3. If you are relatively new to quilting then assemble one block in each colorway first.
4. This quilt can be constructed randomly or like me you can plan the color placement by laying out each of your blocks on a flat surface. Adjust your color scheme at this point - no need to unpick if you do this now!!
5. Once all 63 blocks have been made lay them out and rearrange them to suit.
6. Sew seven blocks together to create each row. Nine rows in total.
7. Now sew the rows together to form the quilt top.
8. Remember to measure your finished quilt top in three places before cutting your border strip lengths. The inner border is 1" wide finished and the outer dark border is 2" wide finished.
9. I have designed the binding to be double fold and allowed for this in the fabric yardage. Cut binding fabric into 2 1/2" wide strips.
I hope you enjoyed Joannes Designs Week19. Just 33 patterns to go!
My Amazon ads are my affiliate links. Thank you.